Sunday, January 30, 2011

Back to Narnia


With The Magician’s Nephew, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, and half of The Horse and His Boy under my belt, I’m quite smitten with The Chronicles of Narnia—but what’s new. People have been telling me to read these books for years. So, if you want recommend a book to me, start now and maybe I’ll read it before I’m 40.

The Chronicles of Narnia are much beloved. This leaves me with the feeling that there is little I can say that would add to the conversation. But I do have a couple of points. As I said above, a lot of people tried to push these books on me when I was a kid. At the time, I wasn’t a fantasy reader. If you are an adult new to fantasy, I strongly recommend taking a second look at The Chronicles of Narnia.

Earlier this week I was discussing fantasy literature with a woman I know. Unfortunately she believes that fantasy is inappropriate literature for anyone, including children. Her stand comes from religious conviction. I offered The Chronicles of Narnia as a faith friendly fantasy option since they are packed with Christian themes and imagery. I’m not sure that she will take my recommendation, but perhaps you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment