Saturday, April 2, 2011

Season Opener


Lets make one thing clear--this blogger loves baseball. This week it occurred to me to marry my love of baseball with my love of books. I went to the Chicago Public Library and checked out a few baseball related picture books. Of the ones I check out, Baseball from A to Z by Michael P. Spradlin, illustrated by Macky Pamintuan, really stood out.

As implied by the title, this book takes the reader through the alphabet, relating each letter to baseball. I don’t think I’m alone when I say I judge themed alphabet books on how well they handle Q, X and Z. Spradlin hits a grand slam by demonstrating those letters against “Quick Release”, Extra Innings” and “Strike Zone.”

The illustrations in Baseball from A to Z make it a true winner. Pamintuan depicts the game in a cartoon-like style juxtaposed with a realistic texture and gem tone color palate. Each player has energy and motion breathing life and excitement into the book.

This book is a great pick for young sports lovers. It would also be good to have on hand at the ballpark to keep younger kids engaged and occupied during games. The simplicity of the alphabet format, combined with artful illustrations make this book accessible and relevant to a range of readers. If you are 3 or 63, I think you will enjoy Baseball from A to Z.

Find Baseball from A to Z at a library near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment